Friday, October 19, 2012

What to eat?

Here are the trials and tribulations of having different eating habits and how I feel about them.  I am by no means knocking any of these styles...its just my thoughts on them.

VEGAN:  I was Vegan for a whole month in Brazil in Jan/Feb.  I found this to be very challenging because: 1. I like meat 2. I like dairy.  I found my body was not getting enough of what it needs so I was filling myself with glorious starches and carbs to make up for the lack of proteins.  Now I know beans and lentils are a good source of protein...but they were not agreeing with me.

CONCLUSION:  I gained like 15 pounds being a Vegan and most of it was because I was bloated. LOL! I think I could do a more veggie based diet, if I could even include some light proteins like fish and seafood.

PALEO: So this is a little on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Focusing on meat and cutting out processed foods, gluten and dairy (cause its processed).  I tried Paleo for a whole month and I found that the whole 'restricting' thing isn't really my bag.  While the recipes were really REALLY tasty, they took a long time to prepare and I just don't really have time with my given lifestyle...nor do I really take that much time for myself.

CONCLUSION:  I lost 5 pounds like right off the bat and was like THIS ROCKS!  But then I never lost any more...and I quickly lost interest and really had to push myself through the last 2 weeks.

EATING FOR YOUR DOSHA TYPE:  I read a super interesting book that was all about eating for your dosha type.  I'm a pitta and so I was to stay away from fiery foods (which is too bad cause I LOVE fiery foods!)  but more importantly I was to actually sit.....and eat....and do NOTHING but sit and eat.  And also to not eat past 6.

Now if you know me, you know this is hard.  I don't just do one thing at a time unless its sleeping.  I really enjoyed the fact that I am suppose to drink warm liquids, but it wasn't a big change for me since I am a tea fanatic.

CONCLUSION:  I 'tried' for 2 weeks but basically konked out after 1 week.  My life is not structured enough to structure in eating times.  The food was healthy and my issue has never been not eating healthy foods.

The social factor:  I'm a very social person, I like to go out and have tapas with a friend, or have the occasional drink or connect over cooking...so to put a barrier on this is a definite deterrent on changing eating habits I find.

JUST BEING MORE ACTIVE:  So basically this is my own little creation.  I make sure to eat something around breakfast, lunch and dinner and I threw in a little extra recreation 4 - 5 days a week.

CONCLUSION: Since it doesn't really matter what or when I do it as long as its 4-5 times within 7 days its really easy to adapt this into my lifestyle.  I'm already quite active so its just being a little more mindful of myself and making a little more time than I already did to throw in activities such as extra yoga, walking, biking or weights.  I find this to be the one I've been able to stick to the most, and I feel pretty good as a result without having to sacrifice anything.





No comments:

Post a Comment