Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Live n Learn!


Here is a synopsis of a few extra trainings I've done so far, if you're interested in deepening your yoga teachings, read on!

Kids Yoga: Ok, I didn't really do a training for this...I just was thrown into teaching yoga to grades 1 - 8 for a whole week!  3-4 classes per grade!  This was done back in April while I was still a new teacher and MAN is this a great way to learn quick! What I learnt (and had to learn quickly!) was to be able to say EXACTLY what I mean and how to read a class and change my pace, tone, etc.  The first classes were...terrible...at least I thought they were terrible and that the kids hated it, but by the end of the week they were suuuuper sad that there was no more yoga, even the teenage boys!  It was a valuable lesson in learning to lay off the self-judgement and wait for the end result.

Nena's Hot Flow/Hot Hatha training:  Using our MYW manuals that we have as reference, I was able to further understand the flow as well as the ques when teaching a hot flow or a hot hatha class.  It really helped me understand the concepts and gave me the confidence to run a Hot Hatha class.  I LOVE teaching Hot Hatha and it seems like I do the class justice. :)  I am not super confident about Hot Flow yet so I feel like I need more training on that before I am ready.

Senior Yoga Training:  Through Yogafit, I became certified to teach senior yoga in early September.  It was a full day training and I found a lot of interesting concepts in this training in terms of modifications for those who are less able bodied to do a practice such as Moksha. I had the opportunity to teach this style of training while I was away on vacation to the elderly that were on my cruise ship (which was 98% of the cruise ship)...and they LOVED it!  It was really a nice feeling to be able to teach this style to this particular group of students...they seemed to really have enjoyed it.

Barre Training: I wasn't really sure what to expect when I went to Barre training...but after the first class - where I almost died - I figured this was a fantastic style to bring to Winnipeg!  People are going to love it!  Its a wonderful fusion of yoga, pilates and ballet and works everything from the crown of your head to the tips of your toes.  I think what the training was missing for me was the practical application so I am looking forward to doing some practice runs once that studio is finished this week.  Technically what I learnt from this training was some interesting ab exercises as well as an into the pilates way of alignment.

What I hope to do in the upcoming year is Moksha Flow training....a few times I've almost been left high and dry here at the studio without a teacher to teach a MF class so it would be really awesome if I had the confidence and know how to step in if needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment