Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Who doesn't like Frog??!?

My life is a little nuts...so nuts that I usually have a very hard time falling asleep cause I'm thinking of a million things at once.  I started this little ritual where I go into Frog Pose....

Now for those unfamillar with Frog - here are the specs taken straight from www.yinyoga.com

Benefits:
  • Deep groin opener (especially the adductors)
  • Provides a slight back bend, which compresses the lower back
  • Aids digestion and relieves cramps (both menstrual cramps and those from eating.)

Contra-indications:

  • If you have a bad back
  • Knees can be uncomfortable, so use padding under the knees
  • If the neck is stiff, rest the forehead, not the chin, on the floor or on a bolster
  • If prone to tingling in the hands when you extend the arms overhead, you may need to move the hands wider apart or closer together. If that doesn't help, do one arm at a time.

Getting Into the Pose:

  • Start in Child's Pose and slide both hands forward, separate the knees, but remain sitting on the heels. This is also known as the Tadpole.


Alternatives & Options:
  1. Half Frog: Lift the hips higher, until hips are in line with knees, keeping feet together.
  2. Full Frog: separate feet as wide as the knees.
  • Extend one arm at a time, which is safer than extending both arms forward. The other arm can be bent with the head resting on the forearm.
  • Allow the hips to come further forward if the pressure in groin or hips is too severe.
  • Alternately, keep toes together and allow hips to go backwards.
  • May rest the chest on bolster, to relax upper body.
  • If the shoulders are uncomfortable, spread the hands wider apart.

Coming Out of the Pose:

  • Either sit back into Child's Pose or slide forward onto your belly, bringing your legs together.

Counter poses:

  • Child's Pose;
  • Lying on the back, hug knees to chest, and rock side to side, or move knees in circles.

Meridians & Organs Affected:

  • Inner leg pressure works the Spleen, Liver and Kidney meridians
  • When the arms are stretched forward, the upper body meridians are massaged, affecting the lines of Heart, Lungs, and Small and Large Intestines

Joints Affected:

  • Hips, lower back and shoulders.

Recommended Hold Times:

  • Three to five minutes 

Now its not really the physical effects that are beneficial to me, it does something to calm me, regulate my breathing and allows me to be peaceful and relaxed so that I almost immediately fall asleep when I am finished.  I looked into maybe there was some research to back up my claims to feeling super calm after only 5 minutes but there was nothing.

I can only attribute it to the fact then that it is a pretty intense hip opener.  So when things are intense, through yoga, we have been taught to breathe and focus on the sensation and then try to soften it or let it go.  I feel that the automatic practice of doing this takes me out of that past or future headspace and draws me into the present and allows me to live in the moment and find my peace so that I can finally chill out.  I have been doing this for the last 3 weeks now as my bed time ritual cause live has been pretty intense and I find that it has totally helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment