Monday, January 2, 2012

Beet It Smoothie

If you are a little worried about putting beets into something sweet I have come up with a beet smoothie that goes down....well.....smoothly.

Beginner's Beet It Smoothie:
8oz Organic Apple Juice
4oz Vanilla Flavored Almond Milk (I use almond breeze unsweetened)
1/2 large banana
1/2 cup beets (sliced)

Put all into blender and blend until smooth.  I froze the bananas and beets ahead of time so that my smoothie has that frosty consistency.  If you are using fresh ingredients, add a few ice cubes before blending.

Using Spark People's nutrition counter (www.sparkpeople.com)  I calculated my nutritional facts for this smoothie:





Calories Carbs Fat Protein
Beets, .5 cup

37 8 0 1
Banana, .5 Large

63 16 0 1
Apple Juice, unsweetened 8 oz
117 29 0 0
Almond Breeze, vanilla unsweetened 4 oz 20 1 2 1
TOTAL:


237 54 2 3

The sweetness of the apple juice offsets the earthy flavor of the beets and plays up their sweet side instead.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment