Monday, January 9, 2012

Tealicious Teas

Having been inspired by the abundance of beets sitting in my kitchen...I wanted to make some home made blends of 'beety' teas to take with me to my Moksha Yoga Training in Brazil.

I first had to dehydrate my beets:

If you do NOT have a dehydrator (like me) Preheat your oven to the lowest setting (Mine goes to 170)

2. Thinly slice precooked beets (either boiled or baked) and place on a baking sheet.

3. Put in oven and for about 8 hours, flip them over every 45 mins.  When beets can be easily crumbled or crushed then remove baking sheet from oven and let cool.

4. Once cool, place in a ziplock bag and beat with a rolling pin/wooden spoon/bottom of shoe until beets are in smaller pieces.

5. Use beets in either one of the two blends that I created. :)

Heather's Fruity Beet Rooibos:
1 cup red rooibos
1/2 cup dried beets
1/2 cup dried apple
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
1/2 craisins
1/3 cup dried goji berries
1/3 cup dried coconut chunks (or you can use shredded)
 1/3 cup dried dates


You can buy rooibos and gogi berries at a health food store.  I bought mine at Vita Health in Winnipeg.  The apple can be dried the same way at the beets (but have to be left in the oven for a longer time, around 10 hours)  I buy dates and then dice them and dry them out in the oven a little as well.

To toast walnuts: Place on baking sheet, put oven on broil and place sheet in the oven for about 3 mins, making SURE to keep an eye so that they do not burn!

Mix all ingredients together and enjoy!

Heather's Minty Beet Blend:

1 cup green rooibos
1 cup mint
1/2 cup dried beets
1/2 cup green yerba mate
1/2 cup lemon balm
1/4 cup dried ginger (I cut ginger into thin slices and dry in my oven)

You can buy green rooibos and yerba mate at a health food store (like Vita Health).  I grow my own herbs so this was a perfect time to use my dried mint and lemon balm that I harvested in the fall.

Mix all ingredients together and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment